Crime Prevention Tips
Vacation WatchIf you are out of town for any reason and need the Argyle Police Department to make extra checks on your residence, please fill out the Security Check Form and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or bring it to the police department.
Community-Oriented Policing & Problem SolvingCommunity policing is a philosophy, management style, and organizational strategy that promotes pro-active problem-solving and police-community partnerships to address the causes of crime and fear as well as other community issues.
Community watch is a crime prevention program that involves citizens working with each other and with law enforcement agencies to reduce crime and victimization in their communities. It involves:
- Citizens protecting themselves and their property by using common sense crime prevention practices.
- Neighbors getting to know each other, watching out for each other and acting on or reporting suspicious activities.
- Citizens working with groups, community leaders, and more importantly, law enforcement agencies to make entire communities safe and free from crime.
- Neighbors looking out for each other
- Remember. Criminals gravitate to places where they feel safe and secure. They avoid neighborhoods where they are likely to get caught. When they are neither wanted nor welcome, they go someplace else.
Community Watch Security Tips
- Make your home look occupied: Leave some lights and a radio on when you are out.
- Lock your doors: Never leave your house open for "just a moment," always lock your doors.
- Use deadbolt locks: A deadbolt lock is a good deterrent to burglars.
- Don't hide a key outside: Burglars know all the secret hiding places.
- Drill and pin your windows: Window locks can be jimmied; pins cannot.
- Brace sliding glass doors: If the door is braced, the only way a burglar can get through it is to break it.
- Install good exterior lighting: Motion sensor lights and other good lights don't let a burglar hide in the dark.
- Keep bushes and shrubs trimmed: If bushes are too high, someone hiding near your windows and doors cannot be seen.
- Stop mail and paper deliveries: If you go on vacation, stop deliveries or have one of your neighbors collect them.
- Get a dog: Even a small dog may be a deterrent to a burglar.
- Install an alarm system: Houses with alarms are avoided by burglars most of the time.